• Register
Can I get out of a teaching contract?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can I get out of a teaching contract?

• bandabacks
  • New Citizen

Can I get out of a teaching contract?

#51694 07 Jan 2012 11:19
So...I want to be a horrible person and get out of a contract I signed to teach with a company here as an ESL teacher at a local primary school. When we first arrived in Tianjin, we were about 3600 in the hole (from living in limbo for 3 months and then coming here), and there was no way for us to get out of that hole without my working (I generally stay at home with our three children, all four and under). So I signed a contract to teach with Yuming in the mornings, so my husband could still work in the evenings at the English center where he teaches. We have just found out that we will not be, as we had thought, having to pay the IRS 4000, but actually getting 5000 back from them this year (gotta love America), which takes us out of the hole, and I really don't want to work mornings, and then take care of my kids for the rest of the day, and never see my husband if I don't have to. I signed the contract in December to begin work February 13th. And I feel terrible that I might do this to them, but I really don't want to have to have a sucky life for 4 months if I don't have to (if I do, I'm sure I'll manage, and it would probably be good or me). I do not have a visa to legally work in China yet. They were going to get me one after we finished the visa process here, and we won't be done until next week. My contract says that if I back out of the contract at any time, I owe them the salary they would have paid me for the remaining time. Please don't lecture me for being a horrible person. I know I should just go through with it (and I will if I have to), but I'd like to know if there's a good way out.
  • Kilroy238

Re: Can I get out of a teaching contract?

#51695 07 Jan 2012 21:10
Oh my God how could you not read the reviews posted all over the internet before you signed with those people!?!?

They will screw you every chance you get. The only people here willing to say nice things about them are on their payroll from my understanding. There is one sweetheart here who will always spring to their defense.

Sadly many many schools and recruiters have no honor with Yuming being especially high on that list. The important thing to remember here is take care of yourself first because to most schools your just a cog that doesn't matter and is easily replaced.

Since you don't have a visa agreement with them yet there is nothing they can do so run don't walk to the nearest exit and consider yourself lucky. You can tell Helen you read all about them on eslteachersboard.com and have no interest in working for them. I'm sure she'll read it here and threaten to sue me again but as I've told her before truth is the ultimate defense.

You will lose any money you have given them but since it appears you haven't done any actual work there is no way they can get any thing more out of you.

The friend who is meeting us on Tuesday will have lots to tell you about Yuming, he had to take them to court when they tried to screw him.

Text them today and just say no thanks.

We can talk more on this and other survival skills Tuesday morning.

I'm going to pm this to you as well in case for some reason this post disappears.
Last Edit: 07 Jan 2012 21:17 by Kilroy238.
  • NateM
  • New Citizen

#51699 08 Jan 2012 12:50
This is assuming, of course, that Yuming doesn't fire you off the bat for posting on here. They do watch these boards quite often.

We used to have a couple of teachers from there come to our mixers, and they said that they had to be careful who saw them because they were told they would be fired if seen hanging out with other Yuming teachers outside the classroom.
Last Edit: 08 Jan 2012 12:58 by NateM.
  • bandabacks
  • New Citizen

#51726 14 Jan 2012 07:40
They actually were very kind about the whole thing. I was very surprised. They said they hope I can come back someday. And I may give it a try someday, in spite of the reviews. I've talked to two teachers privately who say positive things about them and have been with them for several years. And a few of the problems mentioned in the reviews would be avoided by signing a contract for one semester at a time. They said I could do that and then teach at other places during winter and summer breaks (I was up front with them about working for other companies). And of course, I am not the sole source of income for my family, so it doesn't matter so much if I don't have class every day.
  • Page:
Moderators: Kilroy238, sunnyyen
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds
Scroll Up